summit to sunrise – week seven/eight

“The best way to predict the future is to invent it.” ~ Alan Kay

Such was the undertone, both stated & unstated, at last week’s NW Solar Summit which gathered area innovators and orchestrators for updates, strategy and collaboration involved in Washington’s role in the way forward through renewable energy.

Underlined by a compiled publication debuted at the conference, Washington Sunrise 2030 highlighted the key areas to be discussed in “mapping the state’s path to energy freedom” through conservation, efficiency, building retrofit & transportation:

“Washington, with its unique weather patterns, hydrobased energy economy, and diverse resource portfolio is capable of achieving a carbon-neutral, renewable energy economy by 2030.”

One of the first in the long list of informative presenters began with the premise that conservation can provide 85% of Washington’s energy needs through 2030 – the question then left is, where do we get the remaining 15%? The story of learning to manage the intermittency challenges of hydro (pumped-storage hydro) will inform handling the learning curve of solar in our area as well he stated, and the opportunities to combine the technological advances of both with those of our growing area wind generating capacity abound.

Others continued to speak of the current state of the industry as being that of such that our energy crisis is a crisis of the imagination, expounding upon the possibilities of melding solar power generation and the growing electric car movement, pointing to work being done by companies such as ECOtality.

Meeting development needs and challenges creatively were illuminated by work being done in Portland, Austin, Minneapolis & Chicago. A fascinating look at Seattle’s own efforts were summarized in an update on Seattle 2030 District and Seattle Climate Partnership, a sector by sector implementation of Getting to Zero:

The discussion did not ignore it’s title participant – solar – with exciting developments for Washington incentives for funding and sourcing from local technology being successfully implemented by various local communities. Even the NYT pointed to the opportunities available in this sector in the week since the conference.

Advertisements

One response

  1. Interesting stuff here, Amanda. You might want to share your blog post and its underlying resources with the Shockers and Energy 2.2 (I think that’s their name). I would bet they would find the contents interesting.

    This is a nice newsy brief. My questions for you as a blogger and critical thinker are: what were your personal take-aways? What did you hear that was new to you, or surprising? Did you notice any inconsistencies in the material presented — or between the material presented and prevailing wisdom? What, if anything, will you do (or think or pay attention to) differently as result of your attendance at this session?

    Just a few questions to help you take your analysis deeper.

    Jill

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s